By now, you’ve probably heard of Hyperlapse, Layout, and Boomerang, Instagram’s trifecta of complimentary apps. Though all three are available through Instagram, they must be downloaded individually through the iTunes store. Curious as to what each can do to raise your social media game? We’ve broken down their features below.
Released on August 14, 2014, Hyperlapse is a time-lapse app that allows the user to create video that can be speeded up to 12x its original rate. This is the ideal editing program for amateur videographers who want to play around with their captures.
According to the app store, “Using Instagram’s in-house stabilisation, Hyperlapse shoots polished time lapse videos that were previously impossible without bulky tripods and expensive equipment.”
- “Shoot handheld time lapse videos in motion— while you’re walking, running, jumping or falling.”
- “Smooth out your video for cinematic quality with automatic stabilization.”
- “Speed up your hyperlapse to be up to 12 times the speed.”
- “Share your videos seamlessly on Instagram and Facebook or save them to your camera roll to share anywhere, anytime.”
- “Start filming immediately with a simple design that gets out of the way of your creativity.”
- “Download and start capturing. No sign up or account required.”
Introduced on March 23, 2015, Layout allows the user to create collages using photos from their camera roll. With Layout, you can adjust the size of your photos and add visual effects. The final picture is generated in 1:1 square format and shareable to Instagram. Layout is particularly useful for those who want to consolidate their photos from an event instead of spamming followers with back to back posts (a major Instagram no-no).
- “Re-mix up to 9 of your photos at a time to create fun, personalized layouts.”
- “Use the Faces tab to quickly find photos with people in them.”
- “Capture the moment in Photo Booth mode with quick, spontaneous shots.”
- “Save your layouts to your camera roll and share them seamlessly to Instagram or other networks.”
- “Easily see the last 30 photos you’ve selected in the Recents tab.”
- “Pair your layouts with Instagram’s filters and creative tools afterwards to make them stand out even more.”
- “Download and start creating immediately. No signup or account required—and no clutter breaking up your flow.”
Unveiled on October 22, 2015, Boomerang is perhaps the most exciting of the three. This app enables the user to create a burst of five photos, and then converts them into a silent video played on a feedback loop. The finished product is shareable on other platforms and saved as a “Boomerang” on the camera roll.
- “Take mini videos of your life and yourself using the front and back facing camera.”
- “Download and start capturing immediately. No sign up or account required.”
- “There’s just one button! The app takes 10 photos and stitches them together, speeds up the video and smooths out any bumps, then loops it back and forth.”
- “Share your videos on Instagram and Facebook right from the app, or share them later from your camera roll.”
Which of these apps is your favourite and why? Connect with Evocative on social and let us know!